Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Story from a Song (Based on "Home" by Michael Buble)

It was dark, cold, and rainy. The ride there seemed like it took an eternity; when in reality it was just one town over. The four of us sat in silence the entire way there. I was blankly staring out my window, sporadically counting the broken lines in the middle of the seemingly endless road. It was below freezing on that winter evening, but I rolled down my window anyway. The bitter air that I breathed hurt as it filled my lungs. On top of the pain in my heart, and now the pain in my lungs, my face began to be pelted with half-frozen pills of rain. I rolled my window up when I heard the deep roar of the bell at the top of the tower.

We slowly pulled up in order to steer clear of the guests that were overflowing the sidewalks, into the streets. The line stretched beyond my line of prospect. My awe quickly subsided when I heard laughter. I turned around and was disgusted to see two of his best friends laughing and scampering around, and not even dressed for the occasion. Though I was appalled by their behavior, I somewhat understood. I even began to joke around as we waited in the ever-growing line, but that swiftly changed.

I was doing just fine until I stepped into that crowded hall. As soon as I saw his beautiful face, with his priceless glowing smile, I broke down. I was bawling in front of a mix of classmates and complete strangers, but I was not embarrassed for that reason. I was embarrassed and ashamed because I was in hysterics, but his family remained perfectly tranquil.

In pairs, we stepped up. We knelt down and sighed simultaneously. I then closed my eyes; for I did not know what else to do. Almost instantly, I felt relaxed. Being that close to him seemed to calm me down. I was proud of the two of us; more so of her in particular. She stayed so strong from the beginning. I turned to admire her, but I then noticed her eyes well up with tears. Though, I was somewhat mystified. She had every right to cry, but what had brought it on so abruptly? She didn’t even make eye contact with me, but she knew that I was watching. She pointed up at flowers, as a tear or two escaped. The bouquet was from his mother. The message with it read: I’m going to miss you so much baby boy. I’ll see you soon. Save a spot up there for me. With the flick of a switch, I was emotional again.

I strived to pull myself together when I saw her standing there. I finally had reached the end, but I was speechless. She amazed me so much that I began to sob once again. She was simply gorgeous. She reached out to me with open arms and I welcomed her embrace at once. Her touch was incredibly warm and soothing. Her subtle scent of lilies also assisted in curing my unruly emotions. As she hugged me, she whispered in my ear, “Everything’s going to be okay. Stay strong for him.” Here she was comforting me. Yes, I had just lost an amazing friend, but she had just lost her child; her one and only son.


(In memory of Robert A. Castro)

1 comment:

Mike said...

You are a very talented writer.